The Union Cabinet approved a 10% reservation in the employment and education sectors for the economically weaker section of the upper caste groups on Monday. The reservation is based on economic needs instead of caste
The Union Cabinet approved a 10% reservation for the economically weaker section of the society, which are not protected under any existing reservations. Reportedly, the government decided to make Constitutional amendments to implement the 10% reservation in education and employment for the economically weaker section belonging to the general category on Monday.
Reservations in India are based on caste, that is, historically oppressed castes are granted quotas for establishing equality of opportunity in the country. This leaves out the general category or the upper caste population irrespective of their current economic status. Monday’s decision adds 10% reservation for the poor section of the upper caste to the existing 50% cap reserved for Scheduled Tribes (ST), Scheduled Castes (SC) and Other Backward Classes (OBC). This would implement an overall 60% reservation in government jobs and educational institutions. According to sources, legislation for the same may be introduced on Tuesday.
The One Hundred and Twenty- Fourth Amendment Constitution Bill, passed by the Union Cabinet on Monday, will now require a special majority in both houses of the Indian Parliament. Further restrictions may arise as the Constitutional amendment for additional 10% reservation based on economic status may face legal challenges, demanding judicial justification.